I’m branching out into recipes, people! Every time I bring this dish to work for lunch, someone asks me what it is. I work with a lot of vegetarians so I thought some of you might enjoy this as well or maybe you can use it for a “Meatless Monday” option. It really is so full of flavor and tofu is a nice, low fat protein.
1 package medium-firm tofu
28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 medium onion (about 1-1 1/2 Cups)
3-4 garlic cloves
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
1-2 TB capers
(the sauce comes from Mark Bittman’s fast tomato sauce recipe)
- Drain the tofu and slice it in half through the center, long-wise. On a plate cover with 3-4 paper towels and lay the tofu on them. Cover the tofu with 3-4 more paper towels and set something heavy on top to press the tofu.
- Finely chop the garlic and onion and set aside.
- By now the paper towels are probably soaked. Change them out and press the tofu again. You really want the tofu to be as dry as possible or else it will make your sauce really watery.
- Drain the tomatoes with a fine mesh strainer (not a colander). Do not rinse it out. You’ll scrape the extra tomato paste from it later. Roughly chop the tomatoes and discard any tough ends.
- Add the 3 TB of EVO to a 10” non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until they’re almost translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic for just a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and scrape what is left in the strainer. Mix well and let this cook down until it has a sauce-like consistency. About 3-5 minutes.
- Break up the tofu with your hands and add it to the pan. Fold it into the mixture with about 1-2 TB of capers. Should take 3-5 minutes to cook. You’re just looking for the tofu to absorb the tomato sauce. You may need to turn down the heat a little if it begins to bubble too much.
Serve when ready. Also refridgerates well and can be reheated over the next day or two.
Hope everyone enjoys and please let me know what you think!
2 thoughts on “Tomato Tofu Scramble Recipe”
Thanks for the recipe, I love another Vegan blogger too: Sweet Potato Soul, you might like to check it out. Also the Sharan-India website has loads of info. I use the female title Yogini and I look forward to your posts, Namaste
Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll definitely look into them! Thanks for reading and please let me know how the recipe works for you. Hope you enjoy! Namaste fellow yogini…